For the most part, refrigerators are low-maintenance appliances. As long as you keep it clean and on the right settings, your refrigerator can protect your food for years. However, if you have a refrigerator with a water filter, you will need to replace it every six months. Treat your water filter like the batteries in your smoke detectors. Replace the filter twice a year on notable days – ideally at the start and end of daylight savings time.
Find a New Level of Great Tasting Water H3 Text Line Can Go Here
Discover how much better your water can taste at Spencers TV & Appliance Today
Along with questions like, “how often should you change the water filter in a refrigerator?” homeowners often have questions about what their water filters do and how to change the water filter in the fridge. This guide has everything you need to know, from the best water filter brands to the benefits of using them.
How to Change the Water Filter in a Whirlpool Refrigerator
Whirlpool builds its refrigerators with usability in mind. The company has an easy replacement process for water filters, which means you won’t have to struggle to find the location of your water filter or have a hard time installing a new one.
- Open the refrigerator and identify the water filter. It should be in the upper right-hand corner for many Whirlpool refrigerator models.
- Press the tab that keeps the water filter covered. This will open the container and give you access to the filter.
- Rotate the filter counterclockwise to remove it. Some water might spill during this process.
- Add the new filter to your refrigerator in place of the old one. Secure it by turning the filter clockwise. You can then close the filter, and the process is done.
Once this task is complete, run water through your system to ensure it is working. If it isn’t, you may have installed the new filter incorrectly.
How to Change the Water Filter in a Samsung Refrigerator
Samsung water filters are also designed with the user in mind. Most filters are easy to find and replace, which encourages homeowners to change their filters regularly for optimal use. Follow these steps to change the water filter on your Samsung refrigerator.
- Open your refrigerator and locate the filter. In some models, the filter location may be toward the bottom, near the crisper drawers. You are looking for a circular handle with lock and unlock icons.
- Turn the filter counterclockwise toward the unlock icon. This will cause your water filter to pop out. You can then remove the filter.
- Pick up your new filter and insert it in place of the old one. The end that narrows and has two metal rings is the side that you insert.
- Turn the filter clockwise toward the lock position until you can’t turn it anymore.
You may need to push the filter in a little when you turn it, but the replacement piece should go in easily. Try to run at least two gallons of water through the new filter before drinking the water that comes through it.
How to Change the Water Filter in an LG Refrigerator
LG recommends replacing your fridge water filter every six months. Your LG refrigerator should also flash a warning when it is time to replace your water filter. This light goes on when your filter is almost completely full. To replace your water filter:
- Open the refrigerator door and remove the bottom door bin. The water filter is typically placed on the left-hand side.
- You should be able to find your old water filter and remove it by popping it out of the door.
- Insert the new water filter and rotate it clockwise until the arrow on the filter lines up with the arrow on the filter head.
- Replace the bin over the water filter and replace any items you removed from the refrigerator.
Once this process is complete, press and hold the filter button for three seconds in order to reset it. This alerts the refrigerator that you have a new filter, so it can start tracking its use.
What Are the Benefits of Changing Your Refrigerator Water Filter?
If your refrigerator water filter warning light kicks on and you ignore it for a few days (weeks or months), you aren’t alone. Many homeowners forget to replace their water filters or put off this task longer than they should. However, it is important to regularly change your water filter – both for your health and the longevity of your refrigerator. A few key benefits include:
- You eliminate contaminants, which you drink and cook with cleaner water than what comes out of the tap.
- You avoid buildup in your refrigerator. When you don’t change your filter regularly, the contaminants can travel through your hoses and get caught in the tubes. As a result, your fridge water gets dirtier.
- The longevity of your refrigerator increases because this system is less likely to break, which means you won’t have to replace it.
While drinking cleaner water alone should be your top reason for replacing your water filter frequently, you can also think about the money you could potentially save by replacing your filter and extending the life of your fridge.
What Alternative Water Filter Options Are Available?
Not every refrigerator has a built-in water filter — and some water filters break. Additionally, homeowners are increasingly looking for clean water to come from all of their pipes so contaminants and chemicals don’t leave their skin and hair feeling rough.
If you are looking for an advanced water filter solution, consider a reverse osmosis filter. A reverse osmosis (RO) filter removes contaminants from your water with the help of a high-pressure pump that pushes water through a membrane. This process eliminates up to 99% of dissolved salts behind. Rather than trapping contaminants in a filter, your RO system drains away anything that gets pulled from your water.
There are four, five, and six-stage systems available. The higher the number of stages, the more your water is filtered.
This is the most basic option if you want a reverse osmosis filter system in your home. It comes with a four-year limited system warranty plus a four-year RO membrane warranty. This option was built with water conservation in mind and can help you save hundreds of gallons each month — potentially lowering your water bill.
This system can fit under the kitchen sink or be installed in a utility or laundry room.
The next most advanced system if you are looking for a reverse osmosis filter is the five-stage model from Envirotec. This option delivers purified water to your home through a seamless system that can fit under your sink.
The five-stage model comes with a five-year limited system warranty and a one-year labor warranty. This system delivers water twice as fast as other brands, so you can enjoy fresh water without the wait.
The most advanced reverse osmosis system by Envirotec is made for people who live in areas with harsh water conditions. If your water is almost undrinkable, then you need this option. It removes sediment that is 40 times smaller than visible to the human eye. While filtering your water, this system also adds minerals back in that are good for you. This increases the pH of the water and makes it healthier.
This is an ideal model if you are concerned about the safety of the water in your house.
How often should you replace your refrigerator water filter?
Most refrigerator companies recommend replacing the water filters every six months. Some refrigerator models come with warning lights when it is time to replace your filter. Check your refrigerator brand to see when they recommend filter replacement.
How do you replace your refrigerator water filter?
Every refrigerator is different, but the process of replacing the filters is usually the same. Locate your old filter and remove it. (There may be a cover over it in your refrigerator.) Replace the old filter with a new one. Run water through the filter for a few minutes before you start to drink from it.
Why Trust Spencer’s TV & Appliance?
Since 1973, Spencer’s TV & Appliance has grown to 10 locations throughout the Phoenix Metropolitan Area. The secret to our longevity is simple: personal service. Customer satisfaction has always been the focus of our business, and throughout the years, we have been able to work hard with our suppliers to bring you the best prices. After all, getting customers the best price and personal attention is how we compete with big-box stores, day in and day out.
Not only do we offer top-rated appliances, name-brand electronics, and the best mattresses on the market but we also provide water treatment solutions and perform kitchen design services. Stop by your nearest Spencer’s and see what you’re missing!
Shop Water Filters at Spencer’s
At Spencer’s TV & Appliance, we provide high-quality, name-brand products at great prices — check out our catalog to shop for water filters and refrigerators online today. Your friends in the business are always happy to help you answer the question: how often should you change the water filter in your refrigerator? Call us, or better yet, stop by at one of our locations in the Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Glendale regions. Visit us today!
Learn More: Common Refrigerator Problems