Every square foot counts when you live in an apartment. That’s why the best small refrigerators are teeming with full-sized features despite their narrow designs. In other words, you don’t have to compromise on storage capacity and organization options.
Check out our 3 best apartment size refrigerators—along with our tips for buying and installing your new appliance.
The Best Apartment Size Refrigerators: Our Top Picks
Best Overall: Whirlpool 17.64 Cu. Ft. Top Mount Refrigerator (WRT518SZ) ‒ “This 28-inch top freezer refrigerator offers 18 cubic feet of capacity with more convenient storage options, thanks to the Flexi-Slide™ bin that adjusts to make space for tall items.”
Best Value: Whirlpool 11.6 Cu. Ft. Counter Depth Top Freezer Refrigerator (WRT112CZ) ‒ “Features like gallon door storage help free up shelf space while digital temperature controls and an ice maker connection kit mean you are ready for guests—even at the last minute.”
Best Bottom Freezer: Samsung 11.3 Cu. Ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator (RB10FSR4E) ‒ “This bottom freezer’s clean lines and modern form also blend beautifully into your kitchen, while the fingerprint resistant finish withstands everyday smudges.”
- MSRP: $729‒$879
- Product Dimensions (WxHxD): 28 x 68-1/4 x 31-5/8 inches
- Available Colors: Stainless Steel (WRT518SZFM), Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel (WRT518SZFG), Black (WRT518SZFB), and White (WRT518SZFW)
- Flexi-Slide™ Bin ‒ Quickly and easily move this bin side-to-side for convenient storage options so that you can adjust to make space for tall items.
- Electronic Temperature Control ‒ Convenient upfront electronic temperature controls let you choose the ideal temperature for whatever foods you’re storing.
- Manual Humidity-Controlled Crispers Control ‒ Fruits and vegetables are given plenty of room in their ideal environment within the two drawers of this crisper.
There is always a place for fresh and frozen favorites inside this Whirlpool top freezer refrigerator. This 28-inch top freezer refrigerator offers 18 cubic feet of capacity with more convenient storage options, thanks to the Flexi-Slide™ bin that adjusts to make space for tall items. Bright LED interior lighting casts a more natural light on the contents of your refrigerator so your food looks as it should. Plus, you can easily access ice by installing the Whirlpool EZ Connect icemaker kit.
- MSRP: $549‒$599
- Product Dimensions (WxHxD): 24 x 61-4/9 x 28-3/8 inches
- Available Colors: Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel (WRT112CZJZ), Black (WRT112CZJB), and White (WRT112CZJW)
- Adaptive defrost ‒ This feature automatically monitors the freezer environment and runs the cycle only when necessary.
- Frameless glass shelves ‒ Store more items on each shelf with wall-to-wall frameless glass shelves in the fridge and freezer, which offer greater storage flexibility.
- Reversible doors ‒ Access food from either direction with doors that can hinge on the right or left.
If you are searching for a small energy efficient refrigerator, this Whirlpool top freezer fridge delivers the flexibility you need to make the most of every inch. Features like gallon door storage help free up shelf space while digital temperature controls and an ice maker connection kit mean you are ready for guests—even at the last minute. Most conveniently, the reversible door gives you the flexibility to install your slim refrigerator wherever your kitchen allows.
- MSRP: $1,549
- Product Dimensions (WxHxD): 23-3/8 x 70-18 x 26-5/8 inches
- Available Colors: Fingerprint Resistant Stainless Steel (RB10FSR4ESR)
- All-Around Cooling ‒ Multi-vent technology keeps items evenly cooled on every shelf.
- Full Open Box Freezer ‒ A larger freezer opening that fully extends out, for easy organization and removal of items.
- Recessed handles ‒ This handle type exudes a clean exterior design and provides easy access to your foods.
Our best narrow refrigerator, this Samsung 24 cubic-foot bottom-freezer refrigerator is specifically designed for smaller spaces. Not only that, but its clean lines and modern form also blend beautifully into your kitchen while the fingerprint-resistant finish withstands everyday smudges.
Buying Considerations for an Apartment Size Refrigerator
The best narrow refrigerators are typically top-freezer, bottom-freezer, or freezerless models. In most cases, these are typically the most inexpensive refrigerator types. As you are shopping, don’t forget to take organization options into account, as these features will maximize storage capacity for all the groceries your household needs.
Here are a few other buying considerations to take when shopping for an apartment size refrigerator:
✓ Measure your entryway – Determine the height and width of your principal doorway and any hallways or staircase widths to easily transport the merchandise toward its destination without running into tight turns.
✓ Measure your refrigerator space – Use a tape measure to record the width, height, and depth of the cabinet opening you hope to fill with your new refrigerator. Check out the video below for a visual step-by-step guideline.
✓ Consider energy efficiency – With an ENERGY STAR refrigerator, you can save at least 200 dollars over its 12-year lifetime.
✓ Set a budget – Sometimes, your taste for the finer things can steer you toward financial irresponsibility, but that said, mass-premium brands, like KitchenAid, Bosch, LG, and Samsung, offer luxe features at an affordable cost.
✓ Account for capacity – Each adult needs approximately 4 to 6 cubic feet of refrigerator space. That said, industry experts assess that a typical family of four needs at least 20 cubic feet of capacity to house a healthy amount of groceries.
Shop for a New Refrigerator at Spencer’s
Be sure to check out our Refrigerator Sizes Buying Guide to determine which refrigerator sizes offer enough storage space for your household’s groceries.
And if you have other questions about any of our best apartment size refrigerators, please feel free to call or visit your friends in the business at Spencer’s TV & Appliance at any of our 10 locations in the Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Glendale regions. We are proud to have been serving the Phoenix area since 1973.